Saturday, February 8, 2014

Musings of a Nomadic Coffee Drinker


February 8, 2014

I’m sitting on a hard wooden chair at the local Starbucks, sipping on a lukewarm latte.  My scarf and coat simultaneously decorate my knees and keep them from knockin’ as thirsty consumers rush in and out for their Venti Caramel Macchiatos and Mocha Whatevers; keep that door shut, please!

It’s actually not that bad outside, but I live in Florida now and have gotten spoiled by a certain persistent warmth common in areas nearing the equator.  From a subtropical perspective, I’ve learned that anything under 70° is intolerable!  ….I realize I should shut up now, as many of my readers are currently dealing with snow storms with unfathomable below-freezing temperatures.

My sister, for example, is in New Mexico and explained to me yesterday that she uses a simple procedure to determine her willingness to step outside.  She places her hand on a window and evaluates the potential  frozenness beyond the pane.  If when her fingers touch the glass she chills into an Ice Queen, brittle with the frost of the outside world, maybe it’s a good day for Scrabble indoors.

This is not a problem I currently have to deal with, but my itch to get back on the road is persisting and if I’m gonna scratch it, I’ve got to prepare myself for the current polar vortex the rest of the U.S. seems to be bearing.

Yeah, I’m itching for new adventures in new cultures.  Armed with a camera and guitar, I wonder how I can make this dream come alive….

1 comment: