Sunday, July 7, 2013

Independence Day and Aliens (Part II)

July 8th, 2013

Home With Cat
















Since the day I arrived here in Portales, NM, Cat, Seba, and I have been enjoying the most relaxing time together.  Most days we’ll go out for a walk where we meet friendly horses,  or we snooze away the afternoon, or enjoy a milk shake or a malt(I still don’t know the difference).  Yesterday we hung out at the neighbor’s garage sale and made grilled pizza.  Life in Portales is so laid back; I don’t even recognize the word ‘stress’ any more. 

Close Up of Freedom

We did have two major outings, however.  The first being our Fourth of July celebration.  Independence Day held particular significance to me this year, as I have just recently declared my own independence from life at home, a job that proved injurious on bad days, and a miserable feeling that this was it.  So this year I celebrated my true and extensive freedom from all those things that were holding me down; here I am taking my dream vacation and going back to Florida where my life began.
Pals


The other outing was a trip to Roswell to go to the Annual UFO Festival.  After two hours on the road of nothingness, we arrived in this very odd town and stopped at Taco Bellico for some Crunchwrap delight with delicious cheesy nacho saucers.  There were alien billboards and murals of UFOs and interplanetary scenes on nearly every brick-built wall.

The festival was scorchingly hot, there were unique people all about, and my tangerine shaved-ice was the best thing around.  We got to experience a festival dedicated to life on other planets, and we had a lot of laughs.  But then we decided that no amount of frozen shavings could make up for the intensity of the heat, so we drove back home.

Now it is time for me to head out on the road again.  I will miss my dear sister and Sebastian, but my stay here must end.  Tomorrow I am on my way to Fort Worth, Texas to see another dear friend, Miss Ashlee Gomez; choir nerds unite! 

Creepy Bat Bike

3 comments:

  1. First of all, a malted milkshake has malt flavoring in it which is derived from barley and wheat grains. It is made into a powder and added to milkshakes if you want them malted. I personally always prefer a chocolate malt. I love that flavor. Have you heard of Ovaltine? It's a chocolate malt powder that you add to milk.

    I can imagine that a Roswell festival would attract some kooks. It's a well known city for its connection with aliens...so makes since that "aliens" would show up! Hehe...

    Glad you're on the next leg of your trip and have some places to stay. See you before we know it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! Thanks for the informative reply! I Love ovaltine!

      Delete
  2. Anna, is that a picture of fireworks that you took? Very cool. I thought it was a flower at first.

    ReplyDelete